June 22, 2009

PinSpective: A Personal Pin Trading History

Karen Rhodes
Middleburg, FL
Pin Trading 4 years
One fine day, about four years ago or so, I went to WDW with my daughter Elizabeth, who was already a pin trader. We stopped at the Island Mercantile at Animal Kingdom so Elizabeth could look at pins. I was mildly interested, so I looked, too. Then I saw the pin that got me into it. I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, and was mesmerized by the Space Program. I read all about the original seven astronauts, and someone told me that Alan Shepard, while stationed at the Naval Air Station in Jacksonville, Florida, had lived at the apartment complex where my mother and I lived. I don't know whether or not I believe that, but it was a nice touch. Of course, in those days, little girls could not aspire to be astronauts, even military service for "nice" girls was frowned upon, though I did eventually, after I was married, fulfill my desire to serve by enlisting in the U.S. Coast Guard, with the support and encouragement of my husband, who was a Coast Guard officer at the time.
The pin in question was Pin 21461: WDW - Mission Space: International Space Training Center (Slider/3D). Across the top of the circle which forms the outer rim of the pin are words from John F. Kennedy's speech about putting "a man on the moon by the end of this decade." The words are "we choose to go." That got me into pin collecting.
I call myself more of a collector than a trader. I collect pins related to space in some way. From the Space Program itself -- my "Holy Grail" pin is the very rare Pin 11293: American Space Experience - 40 Years of NASA, of which only 50 were made -- to science-fiction or even cartoons with space or aliens in them in some way. I especially like pins with a retro 1930s to 1950s design to them.
And as a veteran, I once was the WDW Magic Kingdom Veteran of the Day, participating in the retiring of the colors. For that I received a very special pin and now collect pins with a patriotic theme as well.
----------------------------
Thanks Karen for your story... If anyone else has any more PinSpective stories please do share... i know a few people have told me after Museum of Pintiutquies or after O-Pin House Kickoff Event...

Also if you have any pictures or reports from Saturday's O-Pin House Event or the upcoming Museum of Pintiquites event please do send them in to gdpinvestigator@gmail.com... im sure our readers who were not able to attend the events would love to see them.... THanks... After the event we will do a special analysis on each of the three sections of the museum and pins.... Stay Tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment